Acidity is one of the most common disorders which is being faced by the new generation, specially by people who are high profile professionals. Acid is a natural agent of the body which is used for the digestive process. Whenever we eat something, the cells in the stomach lining excrete acid to digest it but when this acid is excreted in much more quantity than needed, then the problem occurs. This happens when the stomach is unable to digest food.
Acidity is also caused by stress. Stress disturbs the normal functioning of the body. Due to less energy, incorrect blood flow and oxygen, the digestive process also slows down. This leads to accumulation of undigested food in the stomach. The stomach cells then excretes excess acid, thus, causing problems. One of the major diseases is GERD (Gastro esophageal Reflux Disease).
In this case the excess acid goes up to the esophagus, as soon as the person lies down. At this time he experiences heartburn. A person with GERD feels a stabbing pain in his heart. This is caused because the esophagus causes a burning sensation in the lining of the esophagus.
Chronic acidity has to undergo a prescribed treatment but to prevent acidity or to handle it when it suddenly occurs, here are some home remedies –
1. Drink two tall glasses of water in the morning. This helps wash out all the excess acid and other impurities from the system. This also soothes off the burning sensation if any.
2. Drink cold milk or vanilla ice cream. Within minutes, you will notice relief from heartburn and other acidity problems.
3. Chew on a small piece of ginger and coriander. It enhances digestive function.
4. Coconut water is a very good cure. It flushes out the excess acid from your system and also soothes the harsh effects caused by it.
5. Tulsi or basil leaf prevents formation of excess acid. Take 10 tulsi leaves everyday in the morning.
6. After fried or spicy food, drink a glass of lukewarm water. This helps in the digestion for the food and also burns the calories thus, preventing weight gain.
7. Vegetables like drumsticks, beans, pumpkin, cabbage, carrot and spring onions, enhance digestion.
8. If you feel symptom of the disease, take jaggery every hour. The symptoms will subside gradually.
9. 1 tbsp of Chebulic Myroblan or haritaki along with amla, is a quick cure.
10. Fruit juice is good but never consumes it in empty stomach.
11. Sip on a lemon and sugar drink after meals to avoid acid formation. This enhances the digestion power.
It generally is not a very serious illness can be cured with simple home remedies but if it is a regular problem then medical care is needed. Unattended acidity can lead to other serious illnesses